[BBLISA] UNIX Console access in enterprise data center?

Carl Alexander xela at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 16 18:55:21 EST 2006

> If you're running an x86 UNIX system without console-on-serial
> support in hardware, you can't access the BIOS over a serial
> terminal server. That can end up being the difference between a
> site visit (or hands and eyes support) and solving the problem
> now.

Could, if it ever happened.  I've been running x86 unix on
commodity PC hardware for close to ten years, and have never
wanted to get at the BIOS after initial setup.  I'm not saying
it _can't_ happen, but there are a lot of other, more likely,
contingencies that the difference between the cost of KVMs and
that of serial console servers can be better spent mitigating.

---Alex