[BBLISA] Suggestions for temporary point to point link?

Marc Richman dubious at postdiluvian.org
Fri May 12 16:02:42 EDT 2006

>Hmmm... depending on what you provide for services, it might make
>sense to just get the internet link up ahead of time, move all the
>non-critical servers and lab(s) one weekend, then cutover with a final
>people/server room move the next.  Or next month.  :]

We can get the internet link ahead of the big move, but we hoped to
get a layer 2 link up so we could just span vlans instead of routing.
Do people have experience tunneling layer2 over IP? does it suck,
can we do it with our current gear (cisco 6006 + 2948)

>Yeah, I would expect you to get charged around $25k for a short term
>high bandwidth lease.

Thats about what we heard for cost...

>You might want to look into some sort of data compression appliance,
>like a Peribit, RiverBed, Orbital Data, Netex HyperIP, etc to put on
>your internet portals to tunnel/compress/reduce data while you do the
>moves.

we already have some riverbed equipment here, maybe we could convince them
into letting us have another "eval" unit for a while...

	     Marc