[BBLISA] local vendors for Intel servers?

Tom Metro tmetro+bblisa at vl.com
Wed Apr 26 12:33:19 EDT 2006

stephen wadlow wrote:
> That sounds more like bad luck with motherboards instead of a vendor
> problem.

Agreed. I wouldn't fault PCFE for a bad batch of hardware, unless it
seems like a chronic problem due to them using poor quality suppliers.

> I've done well with PCFE, and have dozens of rackmount servers from
> them. ... Sure, I've had problems, but that's true of any vendor...

I've used PCFE to build custom systems for clients over the years, and
while the systems have always worked, there have almost always been
small problems with them, such as the wrong components installed,
bundled software not loaded, or mechanical problems with the assembly.

(If you're buying systems for in-house use, these small problems may be
no big deal, but if you're providing them to clients, the added labor
costs negates any cost and convenience benefit to using PCFE.)

What troubles me about this is that it gives the impression that they're
a new organization that's still trying to work the bugs out of their
assembly process, even though the reality is that they've been in this
business for 10+ years. Whether it is high turnover of the assembly
technicians or management problems, I don't know, but it doesn't instill
confidence that they've figured out how to build systems reliably.

> ...and they try hard to fix problems when they come up.

Fortunately the problems I have had with their systems have been minor
enough that they could be resolved in-house, and the deployed systems
have been reliable, so I've had minimal dealings with their support.

> Service is _much_ different if you approach the place as a
> business, and establish a relationship, instead of walking in off the
> street.

I attempted to do this, and did have a specific sales rep. I dealt with
for a while, but I found response from their sales staff - at least via
email - to be sporadic at best.

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro