[BBLISA] local vendors for Intel servers?

Eric J. Hansen ehansen at worldmachine.com
Wed Apr 26 13:33:38 EDT 2006

> stephen wadlow wrote:
> > That sounds more like bad luck with motherboards instead of
> a vendor
> > problem.
>
> Agreed. I wouldn't fault PCFE for a bad batch of hardware, unless it
> seems like a chronic problem due to them using poor quality suppliers.

I don't entirely agree.  This is what burn-in periods are for.  And while PCFE does burn-ins, I think part of the issue is that
they don't always build/supply the equipment themselves, and thus QC is inconsistent.  The last rack system we bought from them
came with a burn/test report from a different vendor (and it tooks about 4 weeks to receive the system).  After deploying it at
a customer site, a drive failed within 3 weeks, and now we've got to deal with fixing the issue.

> > I've done well with PCFE, and have dozens of rackmount servers from
> > them. ... Sure, I've had problems, but that's true of any vendor...
>
> I've used PCFE to build custom systems for clients over the
> years, and
> while the systems have always worked, there have almost always been
> small problems with them, such as the wrong components installed,
> bundled software not loaded, or mechanical problems with the assembly.

I've had the same problem.  I've bought from them on/off for about 8 years, and in that time I've had a half dozen systems fail,
and two cases of wrong parts being installed.

> (If you're buying systems for in-house use, these small
> problems may be
> no big deal, but if you're providing them to clients, the added labor
> costs negates any cost and convenience benefit to using PCFE.)

Very true.

> > Service is _much_ different if you approach the place as a
> > business, and establish a relationship, instead of walking
> in off the
> > street.
>
> I attempted to do this, and did have a specific sales rep. I
> dealt with
> for a while, but I found response from their sales staff - at
> least via
> email - to be sporadic at best.

Same experience here.  The biggest recurring problem is being misled about inventory and delivery/ship times.

In any event, we've gone ahead and ordered from serversdirect.com out of California.  From order date (today), they committed to
shipping 3 Xeon boxes on May 2 (next Tues).  If there's interest from the group, I'll provide a post-hoc report about product
quality, follow-through, support, etc.

cheers
Eric