[BBLISA] nnrp clarification on limitations

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Tue Feb 15 18:29:24 EST 2005

Yes, we just take shots at people.  That's why I'm so well known for
taking shots a people, rather than having been "shot at" by a slew of bad
characters including court-proven liars.

But first, I suppose it should be pointed out that no one has "taken a
shot at you". If you think that, then you are mistaken and simply don't
know what a "shot" is. Here's an example of a "shot" taken at me a little
while back. Strangely, it comes from another of the Vixie crew and was in
relation to a note on DNSOP I posted about root anycast issues, which were
later substantiated. (And the IETF has a policy of no personal attacks)
The message does triple duty here.

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, John Brown CT wrote:

> I realize that many on this list don't reply to the troll food that Dean
> leaves around, but I felt it important to reply as someone thats NOT in
> any shape fashion or form, ISC or its staff.   I am somone that has done
> the engineering work to make a different letter work better via Anycast.
> Which letter, well that doesn't matter.

It turned out that my points about root anycast were substantiated: Root
Anycast was more widely used than anyone thought, and it creates a problem
with per-packet load balancing (either BGP or OSPF links that lead to BGP
hot-potato links).  So, turned out, I was right after all.  Its always a
bad thing to make personal attacks on concrete technical issues for which
there are right and wrong answers.

But that's not the end of a "shot". Note here that John Brown says he has
nothing to do with ISC; That he's offering his "unbiased" opinion. But in
fact, it turns out that Brown founded Chagres.net with Suzanne Woolf, and
appears to be still involved with her.  Suzanne is none other than the ISC
program manager (or head cheerleader) for (you guessed already) __root
anycast__.  Pretty biased, to be making a (technically wrong) personal
attack and claiming non-bias.

So, there you have a "shot": It is nothing other than a personal attack,
frequently veiled by a fake claim of disinterest.  That of course, is not
what I did to you.

Below is yet another belated pretense of disinterest.  If we took Lutner's
'illegal' crack as a joke, it still appears in the original message that
Lutner thought it unreasonable to download more than 2G, despite his own
assertions of easynews' 10G limit.  I just pointed out the illogic of
that.

But now Lutner says he doesn't care either way. Gee, I didn't get that
from his first message.

No one is "taking a shot" at Lutner. I'm just pointing out those claims
that don't pass reasonable scrutiny. And in fact, they don't.

And I previously pointed out his association with court-proven liars (Alan
Brown, ORBS associated with Vixie and Matthew Sullivan of SORBS)  This
crew associates with people who believe in "The Truth Through Lies" (Nick
Nicholas, former Executive Director of MAPS).  They lie and are unashamed
of their lies.  I speak the truth. There is a difference, and people
should know about that.  Their complaints are that I point out the truth
and dispute their lies or just wrong information. Too bad. They shouldn't
lie, and they shouldn't pass out wrong information.

		--Dean