[BBLISA] Kind of moving to Boston

John Orthoefer jco at direwolf.com
Fri Sep 24 16:31:01 EDT 2004

Having lived in Waltham and as a biker.   There is NO way I would ride
after a snow storm anywhere NEAR Boston.   Roads like Wal-Lex, the main
road between Lexington and Waltham are 2 lanes each way, with no bike
lane.  People drive on it at 50+MPH.   After a snow storm the only thing
that changes is the road is more like 1.5 lanes each way, but people
still drive 2 abrest.

You MIGHT want to look at Windsor Village.  I have very few good things
to say about it even though I lived there for a number of years.   But
it atleast runs daily shuttles in the morning to Alewife, and shuttles
in the afternoon from alewife to the complex.

Which gets you in about the right area, maybe 2-3 miles from prospect
hill.  And there are two shopping centers both about a mile from the
back of the complex.   (Closer if you live toward the front of the complex.)

Watertown square to waltham can be a dicey bike ride in the summer.
It's heavy trafficed road.  I use to ride that way to get to the Charles
for a weekly bike ride.   And at times it could be scary.

To get into Cambridge I use to ride up to Lexington and take the Minute
Man path to Alewife.

johno