[BBLISA] Kind of moving to Boston

Luke A. Kanies luke at madstop.com
Fri Sep 24 16:09:50 EDT 2004

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Tabor J. Wells wrote:

> Well, honestly it can be kind of hard to work in Waltham without a car. The
> area where all of the tech companies inhabit is kind of spread out and
> filled with office parks near I-95. If you're a biker it's probably not a
> big deal, but we're also coming up on the winter season which could make
> things pretty difficult w/o a car.

I definitely plan on using my bike as much as possible, but I also
understand that it gets cold in the winter.  I've ridden in the cold
before, but I might feel less confident in the middle of January.

I definitely am not excited about the location of the company -- it
definitely complicates living without a car.  Oh well, I didn't choose it.

> The problem about wanting to live more central to Boston and live without a
> car while working near I-95 is that the public transportation to that area
> isn't really that good. Sometimes, though, the companies in that area have
> regular shuttles from public transportation points.
>
> In any case, downtown Waltham is a decent area (which isn't terribly close
> the office park areas -- its on the inside of the I-95 loop). Watertown is
> another option that lies between Cambridge and Waltham.

It's not that I don't think Waltham would be nice, it's just that I'd be
concerned that I'd spend most of my life there because it's on the edge of
the Boston area, so it's a bit further from everything.  If I instead
lived somewhere like Watertown, I'd still only be a few miles from work,
but I'd also be only a few miles from almost everything else, which'd be
great.

> I'd recommend you go to mapquest and searching on "3rd ave" (that's
> basically Prospect Hill) in Waltham and then zoom out a bit to get a feel
> for what you're dealing with. Then look at www.mbta.com's maps schedules are
> to see what your public transportation options are and how long it'll take
> to get there from somewhere more centrally located.

Yeah, I've been looking at the maps a lot; I guess I'll now start studying
the public transportation.

Thanks,
Luke

--
Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with
themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.         -- Susan Ertz