[BBLISA] Kind of moving to Boston

Tabor J. Wells twells at fsckit.net
Fri Sep 24 10:16:13 EDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 12:19:28AM -0500,
Luke A. Kanies <luke at madstop.com> is thought to have said:

> Either way, I need to find a place to kind-of live.  I figure it makes the
> most sense to find a house looking for housemates.  I'll be working in
> Waltham, but I plan on trying to live without a car, so I'd like to live
> somewhere slightly more central than Waltham -- I'm thinking something no
> more than 3-5 miles from Waltham, preferably pretty directly East so that
> it's close to just about everything.
>
> I'm looking through craigslist, and there are tons of rooms available,
> which means the trouble will be to narrow the list down, rather than a
> paucity of choices.
>
> So, any recommendations on where I should spend most of my searching
> efforts?  Am I incorrect for planning to live outside of Waltham?  The
> company is actually on the Western edge of Waltham, on the far side of
> Prostect Hill (I think that's what it's called), if that matters.

Well, honestly it can be kind of hard to work in Waltham without a car. The
area where all of the tech companies inhabit is kind of spread out and
filled with office parks near I-95. If you're a biker it's probably not a
big deal, but we're also coming up on the winter season which could make
things pretty difficult w/o a car.

The problem about wanting to live more central to Boston and live without a
car while working near I-95 is that the public transportation to that area
isn't really that good. Sometimes, though, the companies in that area have
regular shuttles from public transportation points.

In any case, downtown Waltham is a decent area (which isn't terribly close
the office park areas -- its on the inside of the I-95 loop). Watertown is
another option that lies between Cambridge and Waltham.

I'd recommend you go to mapquest and searching on "3rd ave" (that's
basically Prospect Hill) in Waltham and then zoom out a bit to get a feel
for what you're dealing with. Then look at www.mbta.com's maps schedules are
to see what your public transportation options are and how long it'll take
to get there from somewhere more centrally located.

HTH

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells at fsckit.net
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality