[BBLISA] I need a colocation for 10 or perhaps 12 1U machines

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Mon Nov 29 18:58:39 EST 2004

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004, Dima wrote:

> Hi, there,
>
> Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
>
> Can somebody please help me with my colocation
> needs? It's me and again, I know. Sorry.
>
> I finally found a good cluster, consisting from 10
> 1U dual Opterons. When I tried to find a home for
> this cluster, I was surprised to see extremely
> high prices for even modest U intervals. It almost
> looks like 42U costs more than 42x1U. And it comes
> with only 20 Amps of power.

You should be able to find full and half rack spaces at a variety of sites
around Boston.  Most "deals" on 1U boxes are $99/mo.  A half rack is
usually in the neighborhood of $300-$750/mo with full racks usually being
2x-delta.  ($500 - $1200). Both these are much less than 42 x 1U or 21 x
1U.  Price varies depending on power, UPS, generator requirements.

20 Amps 120v should (just barely, but enough) be able to run 10 or 12 1U
boxes. I'd say if it doesn't, you probably can't stack them 1U, 20 amps is
2400 VA, and desktop power supplies are usually rated for 300VA max.  I'd
bet your 1U jobs are 150 or 200--check to find out.  And you usually don't
draw max except on powerup; Fix that problem with an APC powerswitch with
will stagger the power-on.

We do this sort of thing at reasonable prices. But so does Boston
Datacenters (my old boss Bill Southworth and Vin Bono), Exodus, Internap,
Basespace and others, etc.  We really only offer one thing they don't:
We can spread things around to different sites, with different upstream
connections on different sites. Nothing is single-site vulnerable.

		--Dean