[BBLISA] I need a colocation for 10 or perhaps 12 1U machines

Dima dima at emc.com
Tue Nov 30 10:06:36 EST 2004

Dean, thanks a lot for your help.

I think I need to ask a corrected question:

How do I find a colocation in Boston area?

Prices you mention are fine and I will gladly pay
them, but where can I find them?

Is there any sort of the registry somewhere? Is
there anyway to find a colo site, if you do not
know one beforehand?

Is there anything in Metrowest, preferably near
intersection of 495 and 9 and Turnpike?

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Dean Anderson wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004, Dima wrote:
>

> > Hi, there,
> >
> > Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
> >
> > Can somebody please help me with my colocation
> > needs? It's me and again, I know. Sorry.
> >
> > I finally found a good cluster, consisting from 10
> > 1U dual Opterons. When I tried to find a home for
> > this cluster, I was surprised to see extremely
> > high prices for even modest U intervals. It almost
> > looks like 42U costs more than 42x1U. And it comes
> > with only 20 Amps of power.
>
> You should be able to find full and half rack spaces at a variety of sites
> around Boston.  Most "deals" on 1U boxes are $99/mo.  A half rack is
> usually in the neighborhood of $300-$750/mo with full racks usually being
> 2x-delta.  ($500 - $1200). Both these are much less than 42 x 1U or 21 x
> 1U.  Price varies depending on power, UPS, generator requirements.
>
> 20 Amps 120v should (just barely, but enough) be able to run 10 or 12 1U
> boxes. I'd say if it doesn't, you probably can't stack them 1U, 20 amps is
> 2400 VA, and desktop power supplies are usually rated for 300VA max.  I'd
> bet your 1U jobs are 150 or 200--check to find out.  And you usually don't
> draw max except on powerup; Fix that problem with an APC powerswitch with
> will stagger the power-on.
>

> We do this sort of thing at reasonable prices. But so does Boston
> Datacenters (my old boss Bill Southworth and Vin Bono), Exodus, Internap,
> Basespace and others, etc.  We really only offer one thing they don't:
> We can spread things around to different sites, with different upstream
> connections on different sites. Nothing is single-site vulnerable.
>
> 		--Dean
>

> > I was wondering if somebody can direct me towards
> > good colocation shop. I don't need anything
> > special. I just need to work on this cluster
> > before it will go in production. My house will not
> > survive power load.
> >
> > If you know any not-so-expensive colocation shop -
> > please send me a name or URL or phone number.
> >
> > Please!!!
> >
> > --------------
> >
> > Dimitri (Dima) Shcherban
> >
> >               Phone: 800-445-2588+3+36955
> >                  or: 508-898-6955
> >     Westborough ext: [823]-36955

> --
> Av8 Internet   Prepared to pay a premium for better service?
> www.av8.net         faster, more reliable, better service
> 617 344 9000

Dimitri (Dima) Shcherban

              Phone: 800-445-2588+3+36955