[BBLISA] Hardening Solaris

Arthur Gaer gaer at math.harvard.edu
Wed Jun 9 10:58:30 EDT 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Public wrote:

> Not sure if SunSolve also links to or searches the "Blueprints"
> articles:
>
> http://www.sun.com/solutions/blueprints/browsesubject.html#security
>
> You'll find articles like:
>  Solaris Operating Environment Security
>  Minimizing the Solaris Operating Environment for Security
>  How Hackers Do It: Tricks, Tools, and Techniques
>
>  - Paul Beltrani

Let me second the endorsement of the Blueprints articles, and not just the
security ones.  In general they're much better written and have more depth
than the standard Sun documentation--and sometimes they're in proper
conflict with the standard docs as well.

In the security realm, the pieces by Alex Noordergraaf would seem
especially appropriate for hardening a Solaris box, such as "Solaris
Operating Environment Network Settings for Security: Updated for Solaris 9
Operating Environment", "Auditing System Security", "Solaris Operating
Environment Security: Updated for Solaris 9 Operating Environment", etc.

Arthur Gaer
gaer at math.harvard.edu

Senior Systems Manager, Department of Mathematics
Harvard University, 617-495-1610, FAX: 617-495-5132