[BBLISA] Limoncelli Article "Firewall is a Bridge"

Bob Webber webber at panix.com
Tue Jul 19 15:46:45 EDT 2016

First, reading through Tom Limoncelli’s article, I note several places where Tom says, “It’s probably not worth the effort to do this for a couple of servers,” or words to that effect. Tom’s article is promoting a mechanism provided by Lucent network gear while he worked at Lucent and had an opportunity to experiment with it. I’m probably one of the few fans of this idea you’ll find on this list, and I’ve never found a real justification for trying it.

As I recall, Juniper SRX devices are able to work in “transparent mode” (i.e. as a bridge) and I’d be surprised if security devices from Cisco, etc., could not do this. As dsr noted, you can also do it with open software. Probably a good idea to dedicate a couple of Linux boxes to this job in case you need updates and patches to maintain ebtables that you don’t want on other hosts.

While you can do many things with NATted addresses, especially since many protocols have been extended to allow for the nasty kludge of Firewallism. Depending on your reasons for maintaining your existing IP addresses on those servers as they are, you could end up in a world of pain.

Unless you absolutely cannot stand to ever have an Ethernet frame from a bad host touch be seen by the kernels of the special servers, maybe run iptables on the special servers to restrict traffic to the special servers? If they are Well Known as special, this should ease the ongoing maintenance load.

If you want a way to do this that’s REALLY crazy and unmaintainable, try using locked down ARP tables on your servers, with the IP to Ethernet mappings configured by Chef.

Bob