[BBLISA] Limoncelli Article "Firewall is a Bridge"

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Mon Jul 18 11:44:13 EDT 2016

>>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel Feenberg <feenberg at nber.org> writes:

Daniel> On Mon, 18 Jul 2016, John Stoffel wrote:

> [...]
Edward> I don't envy the IT person or newhire who inherits this
Edward> environment someday. I'm sorry my comment isn't constructively
Edward> adding to the direction you want to go - you're probably very
Edward> smart and have thought this through, and considered all the
Edward> pros and cons, and have good management (or you are yourself,
Edward> management)... And I'm sorry that this email will probably
Edward> spark a debate about whether you should or should-not, and all
Edward> the reasons why, which will distract from the answer that you
Edward> actually want. That being said, it is almost never a good
Edward> management decision to do "tricks" and configure systems in
Edward> weird, uncommon, nonstandard ways that will be surprising or
Edward> confusing to new future people, or just a later version of
Edward> yourself, who forgot you previously did something weird. If I
Edward> were manager there, it would require a *very* compelling
Edward> reason to convince me this should be done.

>> Hear hear!  If you have machines you don't trust, why can't you
>> re-number them?

Daniel> We have been asked to isolate a small subset of
Daniel> machines. Renumbering everything else to isolate a few seemed
Daniel> infelicitous.

You mis-understand.  Re-number the machines to isolate, put them into
a private 192.168.x.y subnet.  Then put in a dedicated firewall/NAT
box listening on the original IPs, which filter the traffic.

>> Or even put them behind a NAT/Firewall that exposes
>> the original IPs for these hosts, but locks things down that way?

Daniel> That is what we would like to do. As I understand it using an
Daniel> ordinary bridge the original IPs to be exposed would have to
Daniel> be in a subnet, which they are not. Nor do we have the IP
Daniel> space available to make a new subnet for them. Hence the
Daniel> interest in a transparent bridge. But if we can use NAT for
Daniel> this purpose, we are interested.

With a proper firewall, you can put them into a new subnet and do the
routing/NATing on the firewall to lock them down.

You can even setup the NAT so that the old IPs goto their original
hosts.

John