[BBLISA] August 10 - An (un)Meeting?

Nick Cammorato nick.cammorato at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 15:39:20 EDT 2016

Hi Everyone,

TL;DR: I would like to mimic a bit of the unconference format for the
August meeting and would like a sounding.

I had 3 different speakers fall through for August - 1 right as I was
getting ready to post it  - and with a week left I don't want to
cancel - so for this meeting, I'd like to try a format other than a
set lecture.  (I uhh... may be a little overcommitted)

BBLISA has, amongst it's members, an incredible concentration of
expertise, experience, and knowledge. We hardly ever talk about most
of it - and we almost never talk about some of the non-tech stuff
(e.g. I know there are things known here that are interesting,
compelling, and hardly anyone else knows).  So, let's change that.

Show up and talk about some of that stuff. Tell a story about the
solaris box that formed the beating heart of your infrastructure for
25 years and is still going, about the "magic" switch, or the server
in the wall, or friar tuck. Talk about the tech no one blogs about
anymore, the stuff that may get supplanted but that runs the world
today.  Inform us that some relatively obscure kernel subsystem
exists. Or just basic stuff everyone assumes everyone else knows, like
a CLI tool you use that's nonstandard but is really handy.

Or just listen. Or tell me I'm mad.

If this is something you're interested in participating in, let me
know. I don't need a topic or anything, we'll do that live, just a
sounding around interest. I'll post the details here and on meetup if
there's enough interest to sustain a meeting.

Cheers,
--Nick