[BBLISA] Whatever happened to Seagate?

Carl 'Alex' Alexander xela at mit.edu
Thu May 7 15:39:41 EDT 2015

On 5/5/15 8:11 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:

 > ... IMO, it is hit-or-miss with any
 > vendor from year-to-year and model-to-model.

Exactly.

I have to say, I'm a little surprised to see this thread here in 2015.
Older and wiser heads were flaming me on this topic back in the 20th
Century.  Since roughly when the first bubble burst, the hard-drive
market has been too competitive and fluid to make useful comparisons
between manufacturers:  by the time anyone this side of Google or the
NSA has seen enough recent drives to discern a pattern among any one
manufacturer's products, that pattern will have played itself out.
Past performance, even if there exists a real trend to be found,
turns out to be orthogonal to future results.

That doesn't mean we can't make useful observations on a smaller
scale:  We can absolutely learn from one-another's experience
that firmware 3.7-zeta-9 on Eastern Scribe whizzy series is buggy.
Or that MiniDigital had a QC issue with the platters in Fucia-
label FLB-series drives manufactured between Dec. 1, 2014 and Feb 7.
Any broader generalization, we're just fooling ourselves.

---Alex