[BBLISA] Whatever happened to Seagate?

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue May 5 20:11:32 EDT 2015

> RIP, Seagate?  Do you share that sentiment?  (And, are you monitoring all your
> drives' temperature and error counters?)

No, I do not share that sentiment.  IMO, it is hit-or-miss with any
vendor from year-to-year and model-to-model.  The WD Reds had some
trouble lately too.  HGST/Hitachi has been consistently good, but you
pay a price premium for it.  If you want the best-of-the-best, go for
the expensive HGST Ultrastar (enterprise-class) drives.

I just bought a bunch of hard drives and settled on a pair of HGST
Deskstars in RAID 1 for my desktop and Seagate Desktop HDD.15
(ST4000DM000) for my NAS, besed in large part on the same Backblaze
study you referred to.  Here is the direct like to their blog article:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/

I figured if they have 12,000 of those Seagates and only a 2.6%
failure rate, my odds are pretty good.  Compare to Western Digital Red
3 TB (WDC WD30EFRX) at 6.9% failure after only 1 year.  The WD Red
4TB's look better so far, but they only have 45 of them so the sample
size is too small.

And yes, I do set up S.M.A.R.T. alerting on my drives.