[BBLISA] Looking for FDE single system windows 8

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Thu Jan 29 10:46:14 EST 2015

In message <BN3PR0401MB12046BCA8AC2016000D45C70DC300 at BN3PR0401MB1204.namprd04.p
rod.outlook.com>,
"Edward Ned Harvey (bblisa4)" writes:
>> From: bblisa [mailto:bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org] On Behalf Of John P.
>> Rouillard
>>
>> Does anybody know how well windows 8 pro is going to run on a netbook
>> style system? I have a windows 7 starter or home edition (I forget
>> which) which works well enough with truecrypt. I am worried that the
>> netbook will not have enough power to run the windows 8 pro
>> edition. Also of concern is the bios support on this netbook for TPM
>> and ATA passwords which are required IIUC for bitlocker and encrypted
>> hard drives.
>>
>> Anybody have any words of wisdom on finding out if the netbook will
>> work with the upgraded os/bitlocker? Is there a "ready for windows 8
>> pro" test program anywhere on the ms site? I would hate to upgrade to
>> 8.1 pro for $100 and find out bitlocker won't work.
>In Win8, bitlocker is supported in pro.

But the question is will win 8 pro run like a dog on the netbook?
Currently the netbook has windows 8 basic (i.e. non-pro) on it.

Hence my question about a "ready for windows 8 pro" test bed to see if
the system has the required speed to run windows 8 (well 8.1) before
we plunk down the $100 bucks for pro to find out it's makes the
netbook too slow to be usable.

>So above - you said win8 pro - that should be fine.  As long as you
>have hardware support, use bitlocker.  You can find out if you have
>hardware support, by simply launching the bitlocker wizard from
>control panel.  They have a "ready for bitlocker" wizard that checks
>for TPM availability and reboots the system to confirm the TPM worked
>properly.

Well since the netbook I am asking about doesn't have 8.1 pro on it
(yet), I have asked him to run tpm.msc and report what it says.

>Note: In some systems, you have to enter BIOS and enable the TPM
>before you can use it.  If the TPM is disabled in BIOS, then the
>"ready for bitlocker" test will fail.

Good tip, I'll check bios security menu as well.

Thanks.

--
				-- rouilj
John Rouillard