[BBLISA] Looking for FDE single system windows 8

Edward Ned Harvey (bblisa4) bblisa4 at nedharvey.com
Thu Jan 29 07:04:01 EST 2015

> From: bblisa [mailto:bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org] On Behalf Of John P.
> Rouillard
>
> Does anybody know how well windows 8 pro is going to run on a netbook
> style system? I have a windows 7 starter or home edition (I forget
> which) which works well enough with truecrypt. I am worried that the
> netbook will not have enough power to run the windows 8 pro
> edition. Also of concern is the bios support on this netbook for TPM
> and ATA passwords which are required IIUC for bitlocker and encrypted
> hard drives.
>
> Anybody have any words of wisdom on finding out if the netbook will
> work with the upgraded os/bitlocker? Is there a "ready for windows 8
> pro" test program anywhere on the ms site? I would hate to upgrade to
> 8.1 pro for $100 and find out bitlocker won't work.

In Win7, bitlocker is only supported in Ultimate and Enterprise.  (Not pro).

In Win8, bitlocker is supported in pro.

So above - you said win8 pro - that should be fine.  As long as you have hardware support, use bitlocker.

You can find out if you have hardware support, by simply launching the bitlocker wizard from control panel.  They have a "ready for bitlocker" wizard that checks for TPM availability and reboots the system to confirm the TPM worked properly.

Note:  In some systems, you have to enter BIOS and enable the TPM before you can use it.  If the TPM is disabled in BIOS, then the "ready for bitlocker" test will fail.