[BBLISA] Looking for FDE single system windows 8

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Mon Jan 26 14:46:52 EST 2015

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015, John Orthoefer wrote:

> Basically as long as you use WinTel Hardware you are okay AppleTel
> hardware doesn’t work.

> The way it works, in a nutshell is PC BIOS probes the SATA drives.  If
> the “boot drive” says “Hi, I’m here but locked.” The BIOS prompts for a
> password, the password is passed to the drive to unlock and decrypt the
> Drive Key.  The drive is pretty much set up with some block encryptor
> (AES-256, I think) just before the write head.  So the drive is always
> “Encrypted” it’s just if the controller board on the drive has access to
> the decrypted key.

Many website say that only a few Wintel motherboards support SED. Let me
Many websites say that most laptops and few desktops support SED. be
clear- you are saying that those websites are wrong? Some say that all
motherboards support an ATA password, but that it is not effective.  I
can't tell if they mean that "the ATA password doesn't set the encryption
password" or "the ATA password doesn't protect against keyloggers". Any
opinion on that?

Many websites say that special software is required to "manage" SED
drives, but I can't tell if they mean such software is required for a
single isolated computer, or is necessary for centralized support.

Many websites say that the drive supplies a special MBR on power-up that
prompts for the password, but I haven't found any indication of how an SED
password would be set without the special software mentioned above.

I have to say that I have learned nothing useful in several hours of
study. I guess what I would really like to know, is

1) Will any recent random MB purchased at Micro Center allow me to
    turn on and use encryption on an SED drive.

2) Will I need additional software or is the additional software a
    substitute for an advanced MB.

Seems like those are basic questions, but no answers.

daniel feenberg