[BBLISA] Looking for FDE single system windows 8

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Fri Jan 23 15:18:56 EST 2015

Hi Everybody:

I am looking for a full disk encryption solution for a standalone
windows 8 netbook system (not sure if it's starter, home, pro
etc. edition though). There is no other windows boxes in the mix,
certainly no windows servers/AD etc.

Usually I would go to truecrypt (which runs on my netbook quite
nicely). The person I am doing this for has HIPPA protected data that
he wants to secure.  Also he may be moving soon away from here so I
won't be able to support him. He uses computers but doesn't really
tinker with them (i.e. a computer is a tool to do real work). Also I
think having a commercial solution would make it easier to support the
claim of due diligence if it comes to that.

I was looking at Symantec Endpoint Protection ($116 for 3 year support
http://buy.symantec.com/estore/clp/productdetails/pk/endpoint-encryption).

However reading the manual linked off the page makes it looks like it
needs a server etc. to make client packages and manage the
install. Calling symantec was worthless as the lady on the other end
of the phone said I had to buy it before she could talk to me. So
totallly useless.

Why would I buy it if it wasn't going to match the use case?

For the right version of windows, bitlocker may be an option but I
don't have any experience with it, but upgrading to pro windows
(assuming it will run on the netbook) may be a cheaper option than an
FDE purchase if it can encrypt the drive in place.

So what other sources of standalone FDE are out there for windows? I
was looking into symantec because it was what Bruce Schneier
(supposedly) went back to after truecrypt's demise, but I am less
thrilled with it after dealing with the "support folks", but hey at
least she spoke english without a very heavy accent.

Quips, comments, suggestions, evasions and answers welcome.

--
				-- rouilj
John Rouillard