[BBLISA] statistical analysis of packet capture files

Rob Taylor rgt at wi.mit.edu
Mon Aug 24 13:52:49 EDT 2015

Do you have any kind of monitoring system in place that can poll stats over time
from any of the respective devices? MRTG, Cacti, Zenoss?
What exactly does "slow" mean? Everything network related is slow, internet access is slow,
file services are slow, etc..
Are you experiencing unusually high packet loss?
Do you have any hosts you can run some empirical tests from when the issue occurs?
How often does it happen? I know you said random, but is that once a week, twice a day, etc..

If you have a spare windows box kicking around, PRTG is now free for up to 100 sensors,
which would be a quick way to get some SNMP or WMI monitoring going.
It can also do some active monitoring like pinging or http get's as well.

rgt

Whitehead Network/System Administrator