[BBLISA] statistical analysis of packet capture files

Alex Aminoff alex at basespace.net
Mon Aug 24 13:24:48 EDT 2015

Our situation is that our network becomes slow at random times. We have
looked at obvious things to look at, like the IO utilization and CPU and
memory on the file server and we have attempted to look for error rates
on switches, with no obvious useful result.

What I would like to do is have one or more packet capture files from
when the network is running smoothly, and then one or more samples from
when it is not, and some sort of software to compare them statistically.
Maybe it would produce a report of the types of packets whose frequency
changed the most.

Surely something like this must exist? It is conceptually
(mathematically?) similar to bayesian spam detection, I would think.

  - Alex