[BBLISA] Storage resale/disposal

Dan Ritter dsr-bblisa at randomstring.org
Thu Apr 30 11:35:45 EDT 2015

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 11:08:31AM -0400, John Miller wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> We have two old SANs (Compellent) and two old NetApp systems we're looking
> to either sell or dispose of outright.  Does anyone know if there's a
> market out there for this sort of thing?  If so, whom might I contact to
> get the process started?
>
> Alternatively, does anyone have some words of wisdom regarding disposing of
> several hundred disks safely?

Assuming you don't already have a legal or regulatory
required process, I recommend using a drill press on your disks,
then feeding them to an electronics recycler. Once you've made
a quarter inch hole all the way from the case through the disks
to the other side of the case, nobody will be casually
recovering your data.

The SANs and NetApps might be worth something to a reseller --
you could try vibrant.com.

-dsr-