[BBLISA] Nebula is dead ; long live ... what?

Dave Goldberg david.goldberg6 at verizon.net
Thu Apr 2 23:20:51 EDT 2015

A couple years ago we purchased an openstack appliance from Nebula systems (www.nebula.com).  Yesterday they went out of business.  The system works fairly well and we complemented it with decent servers. It was never intended to be a production service but has, and will continue, to serve us well as a sandbox for staff to learn about openstack as well as to develop virtual infrastructures that might eventually be applied in AWS without having to spend scarce project dollars on so much trial and error.  The question is what's next? Eventually the Nebula box, which I believe is still running the Grizzly version, will no longer be acceptable as users demand newer capabilities, and that's being pretty optimistic about the hardware. My own experience building an openstack cluster from scratch using the components from the CentOS and Fedora repos was successful but not something I could ever hand over to the sustainment team.  I'm aware that a number vendors are offering more supportable software based packaging of openstack components.  As we start digging into that market, I would be grateful for any recommendations, positive or negative.

Thanks,

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6 at verizon.net