[BBLISA] business class ISP recommendations

Brian O'Neill oneill at oinc.net
Thu May 15 15:22:55 EDT 2014

On 5/15/2014 3:00 PM, Steve Meuse wrote:

> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 2:22 PM, Rich Braun <richb at pioneer.ci.net
> <mailto:richb at pioneer.ci.net>> wrote:
>

>     Honestly, at this point the epitome of price/performance is a race
>     between
>     DOCSIS-3 and FIOS.  But I think a whole lot more construction is
>     taking place
>     with DOCSIS-3 than FIOS, probably because there are several
>     companies using it
>     whereas only one company supports FIOS.  DOCSIS-3 has the advantage
>     of lower
>     cost:  it's exceedingly expensive to run fiber to every end-point,
>     whereas
>     running RG-6 from a pole-mounted fiber box to several nearby
>     buildings is
>     quite inexpensive.
>

> (Disclosure: I work for Comcast)
>
> I believe I read that FIOS is not expanding to any new markets (towns),
> but only expanding within towns they currently cover. The same article
> stated that the cost had more to do with the capital costs of the
> house/curb units vs. the fiber deployment costs.

I recall this as well. They even sold off some markets, like Northern
New England went to Fairpoint.
>     Astound's consumer-grade service is a tad nicer than Comcast's in
>     one area:
>     Comcast does port blocking (including the all-important port 80),
>     and as near
>     as I can tell
>

> 80 is open, I don't know the complete list, but it was orignially
> intended to block SMB mounts 137-139, etc.
> -Steve

FiOS Residential blocks port 80 inbound, and port 25 outbound. I vaguely
recall port 80 being blocked for the Code Red malware, and since running
your own server was technically against the TOS, they left it in place.

-Brian