[BBLISA] business class ISP recommendations

Alex Aminoff alex at basespace.net
Thu May 15 09:09:59 EDT 2014

On 5/15/2014 2:22 AM, Tom Metro wrote:
> cost effective for a home office

You can get a T1 from Cogent for $400/mo. There's also the Cambridge
Bandwidth Collective, which can get you a T1 for less than that. Support
is on a do it yourself or wait for a volunteer to have time basis
however at the CBC.

I suspect that the problem with the area on the price/quality curve in
between $30/mo for a residential cable and $300/mo for a T1 with BGP is
there is not that much demand, so no economies of scale, so relatively
higher price and worse quality than you would expect if the curve was
smooth.

My suggestion: get 2 of the cheapest residential connections you can
find and set up a router to switch between them as one or the other is down.

You asked about static IPs however. That is thornier. You could probably
rig up something with 2 bad providers as I suggested using dynamic DNS,
but it seems to me you would be better off getting a real or virtual
server in a data center, which these days is usually less than $100/mo,
and then home connections purely for your own access out to the internet.

  - Alex