[BBLISA] Intel Manageability Engine

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Sat Dec 20 21:50:15 EST 2014

I have a number of Supermicro servers which show that the "Manageabiltiy
Engine" or "Management Engine" is enabled if I look in "Advanced" in the
CMOS setup. However, there is no indication anywhere of what that is, or
how to configure it. Googling that phrase brings up many postings about
using it for remote control, but I haven't found any way to configure an
IP address for it. Or is it just another name for the (insecure) IPMI?

Has anyone been able to use the ME for remote monitoring or control? How
did you configure it? There are postings from people claiming to use it
to update firmware, but that doesn't interest me, only configuring for
remote control.

Daniel Feenberg
NBER