[BBLISA] PDU Power Ratings?

John Orthoefer jco at direwolf.com
Thu Apr 3 11:13:06 EDT 2014

The wattage on a power supply is the Max that it is designed to draw.  And you should NEVER draw that much from it.

As for 2 PS sharing load.  25-30% increase when one power supply is turned off, that sounds about right.. Remember that most of the power you dump into a computer is turned into heat of which a lot of it is generated by the power supply it’s self.

It gets complicated, and depends on how things are wired and I’m not a Power Supply engineer.   But as I understand it the efficiency of the power supply is not linear,a power supply that is 75% efficient @ 300 watts (400watt draw, and 300 watt output) @600 watts I don’t think it’s going to be drawing 800watts.

And a quick asking of the google machine shows just what I’m talking about…

http://www.silverstonetek.com/images/tech/WB10-005/10005-1.jpg

If you look at the graph, for say the 1000w one, you can see at 200W draw it’s 85% efficient, draw 500w and it’s it’s 88%.  So if you had 2 of these running at 250W for your computer and you loose a power supply you’d be converting about 3% better, and you’d lose 15% of your heat load in the chassis.

Dewey I agree with it’s not simple, and this is a good place where it’s simpler to run a couple of experiments than it is to get out your notebook and calculator and figure it out.

johno