[BBLISA] PDU Power Ratings?

Rob Taylor rgt at wi.mit.edu
Wed Apr 2 13:00:13 EDT 2014

Hi Scott. Can your colo get you 208V power? Or 3 phase?
Higher volts means you use less amps, I believe.
And almost every computer that I have seen in the last 5 years can autoswitch (Double check that tho).
(Most laptops can too, I believe).

Where I work, we have 3 phase power going to each rack, with 208v plugs, and each grouping of plugs is on alternating phase combinations.
Some are on 1-3, some on 2-3, some on 1-2.

Also, if you migrate to 208, I have found that the APC power strips we use have a really loose connection on the pdu side, and would inadvertently
get knocked out occasionally when people would work on the back of the rack.
I found these things online called plug-locks, and while they make it a little difficult to plug in, it's never gonna fall out by accident.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Tripp-Lite-PDU-Plug-Lock-Connector-C14-Power-Cord-to-C13-Outlet-Red-100PK/3070678.aspx?cm_cat=GoogleBase&cm_ite=3070678&cm_pla=NA-NA-TRI_CN&cm_ven=ShoppingFeeds&ef_id=IexQIu7qckkAABXb:20140402164738:s&gclid=CN-mxtagwr0CFVFp7AodxmcAbg

rgt

Whitehead Network/System Administrator