[BBLISA] Advice on a firewall Virtual Appliance

Aaron Macks upelluri at gmail.com
Fri May 31 16:31:05 EDT 2013

I'm going to be setting up a small stand-alone virtual environment soon.
 My instinct is to make a VM based on iptables and ipmasq to act as a
gateway/firewall for the rest of the VMs, but it occurs to me that there
may now be better virtual firewalls out there.  Note that it doesn't
have to be a virtual appliance that just gets uploaded and booted,
something installable is fine, but I want something more specialized
then plain Linux.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Specs:
Virtual Env: 5-20 machines
Required features: VPN (IPSEC ideally, SSL-based acceptable, PPTP not
acceptable), port forwarding, NAT, other normal firewall stuff
Nice to have: SNMP output or something else that is cacti graphable, way
to export configs as offsite backups

Thanks