[BBLISA] sender-specific addresses

Edward Ned Harvey (bblisa4) bblisa4 at nedharvey.com
Sun May 26 08:51:52 EDT 2013

> From: bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org [mailto:bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org] On
> Behalf Of Tom Metro
>
> "Use[ing] powershell" doesn't preclude parsing or calling am API, but
> although you didn't specify, I'm assuming what you're saying is that
> Microsoft supplies an office365 library that gives you some objects to
> easily manipulate the office365 email environment.

Yes, there's this concept of powershell modules.  Similar to something like python modules.  You launch powershell, and import modules.  So it goes like this:  You have to install the o365 powershell modules, and launch powershell with them imported.  And then you can interact with their stuff ...

Slightly more confusing ... Without installing or importing any special modules, you connect a remote administration session, and "magically" cmdlets (modules) from the other side become available.

The first method (importing local modules that you downloaded and installed from ms) is necessary for certain operations, while the latter method is sufficient for a bunch of other stuff.  In particular, the adding/editing/removing of aliases (proxy addresses, as they're called in exchange) can be done with the second method.

So, the *actual* low level API is just WinRM tunneled over https.  But if you don't in some way import their management cmdlets you ain't gonna ever get nuttin' done.  It's like having the assembly API to interact with java.

> That still qualifies as an API, even if not a web service API.

True dat.  But I don't want to call it an API, because you're required to use the command prompt they provide.  But you're right.  It is an API.