[BBLISA] sender-specific addresses

Tom Metro tmetro+bblisa at gmail.com
Sat May 25 15:48:55 EDT 2013

Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> I wouldn't call it an API, but MS does provide an
> interface.  Powershell.
>
> It uses a C#-like syntax, and natively supports .Net data objects.
> In powershell, you have a command (for example,
> Get-ADUser, which returns .Net objects representing users in active
> directory) and pipe them into another command (such as Set-ADUser,
> which allows you to modify user objects) and the interface between
> the two is passing the actual class instances, data structures, not
> just serial text.

I haven't used Powershell, but I have used Windows Scripting Host (WSH,
if I remember the name correctly), which sounds like it was a precursor.
With WSH you could code in a VB or JS dialect and Microsoft provided a
bunch of libraries for accessing OS resources.

> The win7 box uses powershell to update info at office365...

"Use[ing] powershell" doesn't preclude parsing or calling am API, but
although you didn't specify, I'm assuming what you're saying is that
Microsoft supplies an office365 library that gives you some objects to
easily manipulate the office365 email environment.

That still qualifies as an API, even if not a web service API.

> Or something like a restful api, I'd also love to use that.  But no.
> Not that I'm aware of.

While Microsoft may not make the web service API public, this is a cloud
service (right?), and you are manipulating it from a client machine, so
somewhere there has to be a web service API, unless Microsoft's
office365 library for Powershell is internally screen scraping. :-)

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA