[BBLISA] Where to dispose of CRTs

Bob Webber webber at panix.com
Sun Jun 30 14:32:49 EDT 2013

Assuming that you don't feel like breaking the law or ripping off the taxpayers of neighboring towns, you could consider a nice day trip up to the south side Manchester NH (Mall of New Hampshire) on 27 July to drop off your CRTs at the Small Dog Electronics eWaste recycling event.

The next date for the Manchester NH event isn't yet listed at <http://www.smalldog.com/green/our-mission-planet>, but 27 July 2013 was listed in one of their newsletters a while back.

I drove up to the event last year and dropped off a a couple of CRTs and boxes and boxes of old electronics -- entertainment items, 100 MB SCSI disks, 3C509 Ethernet cards, some broken laptops... probably a couple of hundred pounds in total. No charge, no hassle, they unloaded the car in a couple of minutes without me doing anything but opening the tailgate.

Disposing of your CRT by the normal mechanism in place in your town won't exactly break the bank either: in Medford a disposal sticker costs $25 for curbside pickup. In Arlington it's $10 if you carry the CRT into the disposal station, $20 each if you pick one of the scheduled curbside pickup days, $40 for a custom pickup time.

Cambridge notes "producer take back" programs ($10 to walk it in at BestBuy), and the city picks up small units for free, larger for $25. Winchester wants $5 to $25, Lexington is free curbside with an appointment, Melrose wants $7 if you bring it in.  A Google search on
<Town Name> MA crt disposal
seems to usually turn up the right information.