[BBLISA] More on SNMP statistical prediction & problem detection

Alex Aminoff alex at basespace.net
Tue Aug 13 11:55:31 EDT 2013

On 8/9/2013 4:19 PM, Marc Chiarini (school) wrote:
> There is a very important academic & practical discussion to be had
> about this.  In fact Alva Couch and I and others have been examining
> similar topics for years.  Unfortunately I don't have the bandwidth
> right now to get into it, perhaps in a few months.  I'll leave you
> with these two tidbits:  thresholds are no good in these circumstances
> (except as a coarse lower/upper bound)...you need to combine learning
> (small amounts of hysteresis) and highly reactive management.  Second,
> one might be able to obtain unrefined but useful estimates of
> performance in various components (e.g., cpu, disk, network, etc)
> without an agent -- via analysis of response-time and other
> statistics...essentially building a black-box model over time of how
> the system is *expected* to work.
>
> Regards,
> Marc

Thanks for this tidbit.

I read the slides from your 2009 paper,
http://www.cs.tufts.edu/~couch/publications/mace-09-slides.pdf

Not sure I understood the details, but enough to move forward.

I presume you are aware of the work that Jake Brutlag did and added to
RRDTool, presented at

https://www.usenix.org/legacy/events/lisa00/full_papers/brutlag/brutlag_html/

He implemented the Holt-Winters algorithm for time-series modeling. I'm
going to use that because it's already been done for me.

So the only thing I'm going to add is a meta-analysis where you collect
say 10 SNMP variables from 10 switches each of which has 24 ports, total
2400 time-serieses, and then ask the question do enough of these differ
from their predicted values enough to indicate a systemic problem.

My question is, does anyone have a suggestion for what statistical
method to use for the meta-analysis? In your paper, it looks like you
were only looking at one time-series at a time: has anyone looked at how
to sensibly combine? Alternatively, I have not looked closely at what
you can get from the Holt-Winters stuff in RRDTool - has anyone used
that for any purpose?

  - Alex Aminoff
    BaseSpace.net & NBER