[BBLISA] voip systems

Rob Taylor rgt at wi.mit.edu
Thu May 10 17:05:57 EDT 2012

Hi All. My goal is just to see what people have done/used for an in house system,
whether it is building their own or using a prepackaged system. I have about 300 users
with phones, so I wanted to hear about experiences from people with systems that size or larger.

I've seen some demos of a system from shoretel, and it looks pretty decent.

On systems that people have used I'd like to get an idea of:

Acquisition:       getting the system in and installed (difficulty, costs)
Scaling:           Are there any hidden scaling costs?
                   What are the scaling increments?
Maintenance:       How much per year, and what does it cover? (infra, phones, etc)
Service:           What carriers do you got your dial tone through, and why (ISDN, sip trunk)
Prof Services:     Did you roll it out yourself, or did you get professional services to do it?
Infrastructure:    costs for poe upgrades, ups's, wiring
Unforeseen costs:  cutover snafu's, e911 compliance costs
Personnel:         How many people does it take to admin, and how much of their time.
Training:          Of the users and the techs.

Thanks.

rgt