[BBLISA] voip systems

K. M. Peterson KMP at KMPeterson.COM
Mon May 7 13:27:30 EDT 2012

Rob,

The site I use most generally turns out to be voip-info.org .

But! When you say VoIP, though, that's a pretty wide net.  Not quite as wide as asking the same question about TCP/IP - but if you could be a bit more specific, you might get more helpful information.

Assuming your interest is in the open-source world, there are several projects that underly most of the applications out there.  Asterisk is the best known.  In the Asterisk world, there are, again, numerous projects and products based on Asterisk.  Asterisk is a bit like Linux - the kernel might be the same, but the distros package functionality, and in different ways.  You can implement an Asterisk PBX, for example, from "scratch" or use, say, Trixbox, which packages asterisk along with basic functionality "in the box".

Asterisk.org is the project home.  The wikis are a good source of the current documentation on Asterisk functionality; also there are books on it, such the Definitive Guide from O'Reilly.

I've offered to give a BBLISA talk on Asterisk at some point in the future.

Hope this helps...

_KMP

K. M. Peterson, Boston                                      http://kmpeterson.com/resume
40 Stanton Road                                             Contact information, calendar,
Brookline, MA  02445-6839                                   LinkedIn, Twitter, IM, Skype:
Phone: +1 617 731 6177                                      http://kmpeterson.com/contact