[BBLISA] Logrotate Question

Richard "Doc" Kinne rkinne at aavso.org
Mon Jun 27 16:42:21 EDT 2011

Hi Folks:

I have a small question on the logrotate function.

I have a logrotate.pl script that does everything that I want to have done
to the logs in /var/log/httpd . I found out this week that the logrotate
command and my logrotate.pl script were working at cross purposes.

Researching this I found the /etc/logrotate.conf file and looked at that.
The documentation SEEMS TO SAY that you can modify the behavior of the
configuration file by directory. Ultimately, what I would love to do is have
the system logrotate command at this point simply not touch /var/log/httpd
and let my script handle that. I'm not sure how to write the logrotate.conf
file in order to do that.

Would this work?

/var/log/httpd {
}

I am hoping that this script says that nothing at all is done in the
/var/log/httpd directory. Don't touch it.

Failing that, could I get the logrotate command to just give control over to
my script like so:

/var/log/httpd {
     weekly
     /scsi/cgi-bin/logrotate.pl
}

I am hoping that that above section would run weekly and then do whatever is
in the logrotate.pl script.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated, folks. THANKS!
--
Richard "Doc" Kinne, [KQR]
Astronomical Technologist