[BBLISA] Recommendations on VGA extenders - conference table/ceiling mounted projector

Franklin H. Chasen chasen at theworld.com
Tue Feb 1 23:49:04 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 17:47 -0500, John P. Rouillard wrote:
> So I am looking at using a VGA extender over cat 5 cable. The remote
> end would be permanently wired into ceiling projector and the local
> side would be trotted out, placed on the table and connected into a
> cat5 rj-45 jack mounted below the table.
>
> So does anybody have any experience with these boxes and would like to
> recommend one? Are there other solutions I am missing that provide OS
> independence and resolution including 1280x1024. Any gotchas to look
> out for?

I have a MuxLab VGA Balun II setup
(http://www.muxlab.com/assets/files/datasheets/VE_VGA_Balun_II.pdf)
which I used at home to run VGA from my third floor MythTV box to my
second floor LCD TV. The cat5 wiring for each end was home run to a
patch panel on the first floor and jumpered together. The setup worked
okay over all that length of cat5 although I don't remember if I was
using 1280x1024 or 1024x768. I subsequently put a Windows box next to
the TV which eliminated the need for the VGA Balun.

The basic set is priced at $143 on Amazon. MuxLab also has a powered
unit for more money but the basic unit should be adequate for your
needs.

-Frank