[BBLISA] Recommendations on VGA extenders - conference table/ceiling mounted projector

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Tue Feb 1 17:47:03 EST 2011

Hi all:

My company just moved into a new office and we are looking at
replacing our tabletop video projector with a ceiling mounted unit.

However we don't want to have a 20' VGA cable descending from the
ceiling to the conference room table where people connect their
computers.

There are a few projectors with built-in video over ethernet but those
requires drivers on the computer. We have to support Windows, Linux
and OS X and will have guests using our conference room who can/should
not have to install any software.

So I am looking at using a VGA extender over cat 5 cable. The remote
end would be permanently wired into ceiling projector and the local
side would be trotted out, placed on the table and connected into a
cat5 rj-45 jack mounted below the table.

So does anybody have any experience with these boxes and would like to
recommend one? Are there other solutions I am missing that provide OS
independence and resolution including 1280x1024. Any gotchas to look
out for?

Thanks for your help.
--
				-- rouilj