[BBLISA] Fileserver opinion

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Wed Sep 1 13:29:54 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Dean Anderson <dean at av8.net> wrote:
> Well, 'Working on the code' does not equate to having good code. But
> maybe things are indeed improving. But its hard to tell with linux.
> 'Gratuitously changing code' is also not improvement.
>
> This also goes to the question of whether knowledge of linux translates
> to ability to learn solaris. It shouldn't be too hard to be effective
> with solaris if you are skilled in linux, and vice versa. Best bet is
> always to learn the posix et al interfaces and be aware when you are
> treading into proprietary or non-standard territory.  Prefer the
> standard interfaces on sysadmin, and you'll benefit at every level.
> These interfaces will change less between versions of the same OS, and
> have greater similarity between OS's.  Plus you'll have a framework
> which can help you learn the various proprietary interfaces on different
> systems.

Unfortunately, my experience is that sysadmin required tools are not
well codified by POSIX.    I vaguely recall Solaris going from
/etc/fstab to /etc/vfs/???? between 1.x and 2.x.    In the end, it
depends on whether you are a "cookbook" style admin or someone who
tries to understand exactly what each command is accomplishing.  If
you are the later, it's often just a matter of figuring out what new
files have essentially the same configuration options.  If you are the
former, then even switching between RHEL and Ubuntu could be
difficult.

Bill Bogstad