[BBLISA] Fileserver opinion

Dean Anderson dean at av8.net
Wed Sep 1 12:24:15 EDT 2010

Well, 'Working on the code' does not equate to having good code. But
maybe things are indeed improving. But its hard to tell with linux.
'Gratuitously changing code' is also not improvement.

This also goes to the question of whether knowledge of linux translates
to ability to learn solaris. It shouldn't be too hard to be effective
with solaris if you are skilled in linux, and vice versa. Best bet is
always to learn the posix et al interfaces and be aware when you are
treading into proprietary or non-standard territory.  Prefer the
standard interfaces on sysadmin, and you'll benefit at every level.
These interfaces will change less between versions of the same OS, and
have greater similarity between OS's.  Plus you'll have a framework
which can help you learn the various proprietary interfaces on different
systems.

		--Dean

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010, David Allan wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2010, Dean Anderson wrote:
>
> > But avoid linux as a NFS server platfom.  There is a funded project to
> > improve the client at RedHat, but not the server. Sigh.
>
> [disclaimer: I work for Red Hat, although obviously this isn't an
> official corporate pronouncement.]
>
> I haven't been involved in this arena in a decade, so I don't have a
> useful opinion on what you should use, but Bruce Fields, the upstream
> maintainer of the NFS server code, is paid by Red Hat, and we've got a
> bunch of big customers using Linux as an NFS server.  As I said, I don't
> work in this area, so I'm not the guy to say yeah do it, or no, run away,
> but we actively work on the code, and people do use it for real work.
>
> Dave

617 256 5494