[BBLISA] comcast ... again

David Allan dave at dpallan.com
Tue Oct 19 23:26:18 EDT 2010

I didn't realize you even had the option to have Comcast manage your LAN.
I have the basic Comcast home package which gives me one public,
non-static IP which is my firewall doing NAT, behind which I have as many
devices as I want.  I would not let Comcast manage my network, nor use any
Comcast provided device connected to anything other than a firewall, as I
doubt (as your friend has experienced) that they have either the skill or
the interest to do it properly.  I'd go with your idea of plugging another
router into the Comcast device, and turn off NAT on the Comcast device.

FWIW, I work at home and have worked as a network engineer, so I'm highly
intolerant of bad connectivity, and Comcast has generally not pissed me
off over the ~8 years I've had them.

Dave