[BBLISA] Cloud services: Amazon versus ...

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa4 at nedharvey.com
Mon Oct 4 11:21:47 EDT 2010

> From: bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org [mailto:bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org] On
> Behalf Of Dewey Sasser
>
> I have been very resistant to putting anything in the cloud, and my
> reasons fall under "paranoia".  I'm a bit lazy and do not implement
> what
> I consider full hardening on internal only services -- I tend to leave
> out enforcement of secure passwords and crack attempts.  Also, I'm
> aware
> that someone else has access to my data.  A casual review of the
> slicehost web site didn't comment on that.
>
> In other words, putting a service in an internet reachable place is
> more
> expensive (in terms of my time) than an internal network.
>
> Would anyone care to comment on the practical considerations of my
> paranoia?

Absolutely.  I think any level of paranoia lower than yours is a false sense
of security, unless the data in question is no more personal or important
than this email message.  ;-)  I confirmed with google tech, that they do in
fact have access to all my data in google docs.

You know what would be more shocking than google or dropbox going bankrupt?
Fannie Mae going bankrupt.

You know what would be more shocking than google or dropbox getting hacked?
The CIA or FBI having the top 10 most wanted list graffiti'd on their
websites.  (Look it up, it happened.)

Stuff happens.  Probably unusual, but that shouldn't be good enough if it's
valuable data.  If it's valuable data, you need to actively ensure it's in
your control.

For now, I think it's sufficient to encrypt data before I store it on
amazon's servers.