[BBLISA] Cloud services: Amazon versus ...

Dewey Sasser dewey at sasser.com
Mon Oct 4 09:39:42 EDT 2010

 On 10/3/2010 9:04 PM, Paul Beltrani wrote:
> For the thread, I've been very happy with Slicehost,
> http://www.slicehost.com/.  For $20/month I have system that's fine
> for hosting my email and web servers.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't think they will meet your needs as I believe
> they only support Linux.
>
> Something to consider is, do you need the flexibility of Amazon EC2?
> Their tools and model are great if you need to spin up systems quickly
> for some task and then turn them off.  However, if you're going to be
> running one or two servers 24x7, the tools become less useful and the
> recurring costs can be greater than that of the "virtual host"
> vendors.
>
>   - Paul Beltrani
>
> On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Edward Ned Harvey <lopser at nedharvey.com> wrote:
>> What other cloud services are people using?

I have been very resistant to putting anything in the cloud, and my
reasons fall under "paranoia".  I'm a bit lazy and do not implement what
I consider full hardening on internal only services -- I tend to leave
out enforcement of secure passwords and crack attempts.  Also, I'm aware
that someone else has access to my data.  A casual review of the
slicehost web site didn't comment on that.

In other words, putting a service in an internet reachable place is more
expensive (in terms of my time) than an internal network.

Would anyone care to comment on the practical considerations of my paranoia?

--
Dewey