[BBLISA] Faster than 1G Ether ... ESX to ZFS

Sean Lutner slutner at rentul.net
Tue Nov 16 10:57:34 EST 2010

On Nov 16, 2010, at 7:51 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

> [...]

I run a somewhat sizable virtual environment with almost 50 ESX hosts and up to 50 guests per host. The environment has over 1,000 VMs and we don't have a single ESX host with more than 1GbE NICs. Our storage devices (Netapp) all have 10GbE out the back. We have never seen a bottleneck on the host side using 1GbE connections. We split the hosts into three networks; 1 for vkernel and storage (all NFS), 1 for guest networking and 1 for the service console/vmotion. These are all bonded/teamed failover pairs. seperating your traffic like this is also a best practice and something I can highly recommend you do. Having a full 1GbE connection dedicated to all these things is almost certainly more than enough. What are you doing in your environment that you need 10GbE?