[BBLISA] Faster than 1G Ether ... ESX to ZFS

Sean Lutner slutner at rentul.net
Mon Nov 15 23:20:05 EST 2010

On Nov 15, 2010, at 9:44 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

>> From: bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org [mailto:bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org] On
>> Behalf Of Joe McDonagh
>>
>> You can either do bonding or order some older fc equipment at 2 or 4g.
>
> Thanks, but I believe the subject has been covered:  bonding doesn't work.
> You're still limited to 1G even with bonding.  That is *if* bonding is even
> supported by ESX (it seems like it's probably not).  And when I look around
> for 2G or 4G fc equipment, I see prices that are even higher than 10G
> Ethernet.

ESX absolutely supports bonding (teaming). It's a standard best practice configuration for your vSwitches if you want to do failover or outbound load balancing. See the esxcfg-vswitch command for details. If you can and want to setup port channels (in IOS land) you can also control inbound traffic. There are plentiful blogs and vmware community posts about how to set this all up.