[BBLISA] NFS re-export or NFS proxy?

Dewey Sasser dewey at sasser.com
Wed May 19 15:34:29 EDT 2010

On 5/19/2010 1:24 PM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> http://unfs3.sourceforge.net/

Thanks.  I had checked out the Linux userspace NFS daemon but missed
this one.

> in Google.  It claims to run under Solaris and has had updates in the
> last 1-2 years.   No idea about reliability, performance, or
> re-exporting.   Since all data from your new 7210 will flow through
> your old 7210, performance is definitely going to be worse for those
> filesystems.   If you take this approach (and I'm not recommending
> it), you will probably want to dedicate
>  at least some of the Ethernet ports on both machines for dedicated
> machine-machine connections just for the NFS traffic.
> Using Ethernet jumbo frames for those links might be a good idea as well.

I'm trying it out now.  It does allow re-exporting.  My initial sanity
test using a VM as the relay (time cat 821MB-file > /dev/null) shows
that the re-exported system is about 70% of direct mount speed, with the
iostat measured NFS reads/s peaking at 60%.  This clearly warrants
further testing.