[BBLISA] NFS re-export or NFS proxy?

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Wed May 19 13:24:35 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Dewey Sasser <dewey at sasser.com> wrote:
> My thought is that if I could either set up a system to mount the shares
> I care about and re-export them, or if a straight-up NFS pass-through
> proxy might exist, that would give me the appropriate indirection.

In my (ancient) experience, Sun NFS implementations didn't allow
reexporting of NFS mounted filesystems.   Back before most systems had
in-kernel NFS servers, there were user space implementations which had
a tendency to allow re-exporting.  This is the first one that popped
up:

http://unfs3.sourceforge.net/

in Google.  It claims to run under Solaris and has had updates in the
last 1-2 years.   No idea about reliability, performance, or
re-exporting.   Since all data from your new 7210 will flow through
your old 7210, performance is definitely going to be worse for those
filesystems.   If you take this approach (and I'm not recommending
it), you will probably want to dedicate
 at least some of the Ethernet ports on both machines for dedicated
machine-machine connections just for the NFS traffic.
Using Ethernet jumbo frames for those links might be a good idea as well.

Good Luck,
Bill Bogstad