[BBLISA] Last night's IPv6 talk

Internaut at Large dkap at mailhost.haven.org
Mon May 17 14:19:12 EDT 2010

Greetings,

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 09:19 -0400, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> > From: Dean Anderson [mailto:dean at av8.com]
> >
> > Oh, well there's the problem. ;-) (I have to use outlook at BofA, too,
> > so I feel the pain...)
>
> Dean, I don't get you.  What was the point of this?
> Personally, Outlook is my favorite client.  And Exchange is my favorite mail
> server.  I have never found anything else that satisfies my needs or
> performs reliably, with cross-platform availability.  I have tried many
> different things.

WHAT?!?  I can _barely_ get Exchange to talk to my mac, and I had to beg
my administrators to open the web to internal machines so I might be
able to get company-wide mail internally on the Unix boxes my group
uses.  Cross platform availablility?  It only runs on Windows, it
usually only speaks to windows, using a proprietary client format that
Microsoft has actually cease-and-desisted, sued, and changed arbitrarily
(and "forgot" to report those changes, and "hidden" features to) on the
companies that actually paid for access to the API ...

I must not understand what you mean by "cross-platform availability".

> It's not a conversation worth having.
>
> FWIW, Dan emailed me off list, and confirmed there's something funny going
> on at his end - using a mail to news gateway, which apparently doesn't
> handle html properly.  So this is not something to "blame" on outlook.

Except that Outlook has to be beaten upon to send non-html mail, if it
can, at all (depending on the version), and HTML mail is _not_ in any
way, shape or form an cross-platform benefit.  Many of my accesses to
mail are on terminal-only sessions, over SSH, or on my cell-phone, which
does not have mail/browser connections.

And seems, by default, to try and keep people from commentary inline,
allowing only for top or bottom posting.  But that's a pet peeve of
mine.

-dkap