[BBLISA] anybody doing IPv6 for real operations?/possible presentation topic (fwd)

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Thu Mar 18 17:13:31 EDT 2010

Oops. Sent this from dean at av8.net by mistake. This is my last message on
the topic.

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010, John Stoffel wrote:

Well, it didn't take 7 years to get off bitnet.  Bitnet wasn't NATing,
btw, it was forwarding email.  CSNet did the same thing, except for
UUCP/Usenet

> Sure, I realize that CLNS might be technically superior, for some
> value of superior, but it's NOT going to be the technology deployed.
> IPv6 is going to win because it's the *easiest* to deploy in an
> incremental fashion.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^

The fallacy of that statement has been my point all along. IPV6
//can't// be done incrementally. But CLNS //CAN// be deployed
incrementally.  We are probably going ot deploy CLNS anyway,
....incrementally.... in the effort to deploy IPV6.

There has long been this notion of isolated IPV6 networks gradually
coalescing.  But that hasn't happened. The 6to4 project started in 2003,
_7_ YEARS ago. The people like Dan Hagerty are running isolated pockets,
and those pockets, after _7_ years, haven't coalesced into _any_ larger
networks.

Just exactly how many years do you think we should go, without showing
ANY progress, before declaring failure?  (I know the answer: 2 more
years)

> So dammit, grow up all of you and be more civil.  Stop being snarky.

Ok. I'll try. But the notions posited are ridiculous.  IPV6 deployment
has become like winning in Afganistan: Every week we hear a new
variation of the same old thing that didn't work before.

		--Dean

617 256 5494